Startup Social, the first Icelandic accelerator solely focused on social innovation, organized by Höfði Reykjavík Peace Center and the Innovation Center, was launched on October 10.
7 teams were chosen from a total of 40 applications to further improve their ideas. For seven weeks, these seven teams have access to the guidance of Iceland’s most prominent mentors and excellent work facility at Hlemmur House of Creative Industries.
Landsvirkjun is a proud sponsor of Startup Social.
Other partners include the University of Iceland, City of Reykjavík, Iceland Academy of the Arts, University of Reykjavík, Icelandic Startups, Ministry of Industries and Innovation, and FESTA - Icelandic Centre for Corporate Social Responsibility.
The Winning Teams
- Rehabilitation Centre for Young Individuals at Risk will revolve around an interdisciplinary and integrated treatment of mental disorder, drug abuse, and trauma.
- Reykjavík er okkar, app for citizens to ‘adopt’ certain areas in Reykjavík and be personally responsible for their tidiness, in exchange for certain benefits
- Social House located in central Reykjavík, which aims to further connect Icelandic society and individuals of different origin. People in vulnerable situations are particularly welcomed.
- Samgönguspor aims to be a service for companies and organisations to help them implement a policy of transport, in order to improve eco-friendly mode of transport.
- The use of fungi to purify and restore contaminated areas and/or to prevent environmental accidents.
- BFSUBL want to build a car-free area in Reykjavík, with affordable apartments and parking lots at the neighborhood’s periphery.
- Centre for Nursing Service, which aims to operate nationally and provide knowledge about ageing to both staff in relevant sectors as well as the general public.
We sincerely congratulate the winning teams and look forward to the coming weeks!